How to create a QuickBooks backup
If you are using QuickBooks 2019 (Windows Desktop version), the following instructions will help you create a company file for backup:
- Create the company backup file.
- Go to the File menu, choose Back Up Company, and then select Create Local Backup.
- A “Create Backup” window will appear, choose Local Backup, and click on the Options.
- Designate the backup file location using the Browse button to search out the location.
- Click OK. Then click NEXT.
- Save it now and then click NEXT.
- Verify the name for the backup file and the “Save as type” as QBW Backup (*.QBB).
- Click SAVE.
- After the backup is complete please e-mail a copy to your MJ contact using ShareFile as follows:
- Go to www.mcdonaldjacobs.com and click on SHAREFILE in the upper right-hand corner. Alternatively, you can click this link to access the page: SHAREFILE LINK
- Enter your information and click Continue.
- On the top, select your recipient, then either drag files to or click on “Browse files”, to browse for and add attachments.
- Click Upload.
- After upload completes, you can close the window.
- Email us your username and password.
Also, even though it might seem logical, please do not send an Accountant’s Copy of your QuickBooks data. We will need the Company Backup file. We will not return this copy to you.
Please remember to provide accountant with USERNAME(S) and/or PASSWORDS.
Prepare a file for conversion from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows
Due to the differences between the operating systems, converting a file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows requires some file preparation.
Preparing the file
- Update your version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest release.
- Check for any special characters in the file name and Company Name, such as [email protected]#$%^&*. If there are any, rename the file and remove the special characters.
- Note: Company Name is under QuickBooks menu > Preferences > My Company.
- Open the file in QuickBooks and delete all memorized transactions and memorized reports.
- Resort your lists.
- Rebuild and then verify your company file.
- Run the Custom Transaction Detail Report, changing the date range to All and enabling the Memo Column:
- Go to Reports > Custom Transaction Detail Report.
- In the Modify Report window, click the Dates drop-down arrow and select All.
- Under Columns, click to select the Memo column. A checkmark appears when the column is selected.
- Click OK to run the report.
- Check for any memos with names that are longer than 50 characters or that contain special characters such as [email protected]#$%^&*.
- If any are found, edit the transactions and remove the memos. Rebuild the file again.
Converting the file
- With the company file open in QuickBooks for Mac, go to File > Utilities > Export > To QuickBooks for Windows.
- Choose a name and location for the file and click Save (this creates a file with the extension *.qbb). In the Where (location) field, it is best to simply save this file to your Desktop.
- Please return to the beginning of this document and refer to instruction 2a regarding emailing your backup to our office.